Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Pillow Book

At one point, I had to read a book called "The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon" for a Humanities class I took junior year. It's a collection of thoughts and observations by a court lady in Heian Japan at the end of the 900s. It's a big deal because women didn't really have much of a voice or public presence at that time. Her journal offers a glimpse into her everyday life at the court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pillow_Book


I didn't particularly enjoy reading it per say because the author was kind of annoying and stuck up, but some of her entries were funny and random, while others were full of gossip or long odes to flowers. Anyway, throughout the semester I also kept a "Pillow Book" as part of a final project deal and it was pretty fun, so I thought I'd try to start something like that up again.

Also, for library school we are supposed to become more familiar with "Web 2.0" that involves more interactiveness on the Internet (i.e. blogs and facebook and youtube). More than ever, the Internet has become a place where people interact and share ideas, rather than view it as a static source of information, not that some components didn't exist from the beginning.

No comments: