Even though my days of being musically active (i.e. years of band, both marching and concert) are technically over, I absolutely love listening to music and occasionally dancing to it. I can be somewhat fickle and tend to have a new favorite song every few weeks, but here are my current "new favorite songs" (courtesy of my brother's vast music collection):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t3Ltarqxn4
"We're gonna have a good day and all my homies gonna ride today and all these mommies look fly today and the only one we wanna do is get by today heyyy, we're gonna have a good day and ain't nobody gotta cry today cause ain't nobody gonna die today and you can save that trouble for another day heyyy we're gonna have a good day."
Who doesn't love days that involve fly-looking mommies and no one dying?
The other is called "No Regrets" by Aesop Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fltYTVEXxdc
I like that it gives a different perspective on being a dreamer... usually that's something that is promoted and upheld, but here Lucy says,
"Look, I've never had a dream in my life
Because a dream is what you wanna do, but still haven't pursued.
I knew what I wanted and did it till it was done
So I've been the dream that I wanted to be since day one!"
I suppose there's something to be said about how she isolates herself from the rest of the world in order to pursue her dream of being an artist... I really like the idea of forming a community and connecting with other people, blahblah, let's all hold hands... I guess she does have some sense of community with her friend Rico, but he's basically the only person she lets into her life.
Also, it reminds me of one of my favorite movies, In America, which involves illegal immigrants from Ireland, abject poverty in NYC, sisters, wishes, and an intense and intimidating artist.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298845/
Ariel: What are transvestites?
Christy: A man who dresses up as a woman.
Ariel: For Halloween?
Christy: No, all the time. All the time.
Ariel: Why?
Christy: It's just what they do here, OK?
Here's a clip from another Youtube video that gives a more suburban and overly literal perspective on the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whGfOFOCE2s
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment