I really like taking technology for granted. I just love when things like my cell phone, laptop, iPod, etc. all function as they are supposed to without any technical difficulties. This semester I am taking my "Information Technology for Library Professionals" core requirement. It's entirely online, which, while I am thankful that I do not have to drive downtown for classes, it's actually more work than in a traditional setting. The textbook that I've been reading (or at least trying to) is kind of strange in that it assumes that you know NOTHING about computers, but also that you want to know EVERYTHING. (Like, it starts out with: here is a computer. here is a mouse. here is a printer. Then it jumps into the technicalities of how they actually function and why.) I, however, feel like I have a pretty basic and working knowledge of PCs and I'm fairly satisfied as is. I realize that I should probably try to stay up-to-date and develop a deeper understanding of technology and how I can use it to help people in a library setting, but I'm reaching my limits of interest. I've read about 60 pages in my textbook today and it's taken me awhile because if I'm not careful, it all starts to look like "blahblahblah." And it's also made me super paranoid about computer hackers and viruses. There's something called keylogging where your keystrokes are recorded from a remote location so bad people can find out your passwords and stuff. From my naive point of view, I just don't understand why people would want to mess with people's stuff like that. If someone is hacking into my computer right now: PLEASE STOP! Thank you.
On a brighter note, my Teen Services class is going along swimmingly, thus far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, sorry; didn't know you knew I was monitoring your keystrokes; I'll just wait until you let your guard down to try again.
Post a Comment