I really like holidays. Not just the big time ones, like Christmas, Fourth of July, and Thanksgiving that get a lot of press, but pretty much all of them, especially the small and silly ones that may not really serve any particular purpose. For instance, Talk Like a Pirate Day. It's ridiculous and absurd, but I still love it dearly. I also particularly enjoy St. Patrick's Day, even though I don't partake in the excessive drinking. I do enjoy the wearin' o' the green, baking some Irish soda bread, and listening to Celtic tunes. I even enjoy Valentine's Day, which has suffered a bad rap. I like that it's in the middle of the most unpleasant part of winter when there really aren't many other holidays to compete with it, except for President's Day and Groundhogs day, both of which aren't all that exciting. At least Valentine's Day involves chocolate and letting people know you like them in a corny way. However, I do draw that line at "Sweetest Day" in October. That's just crossing the line as far as made-up holidays go. And anyway, October already has Halloween and Breast Cancer awareness month.
I don't think that holidays need to cost a lot or be blown out of proportion, although that seems to be the trend, particularly with Christmas. I like the cookie baking, listening to some music, and letting people know you care about them parts. Oh yeah, and remembering and honoring the birth of Jesus too, even if that didn't literally occur on December 25th. I don't particularly like how such a humble event has evolved over the centuries and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, but yet the endless cycle of people refusing to be happy and thankful continues. I enjoy the silly traditions that have developed, but not so much the greed and consumerism aspect of it. Working in retail this season has really emphasized that part for me.
However, I also dislike when people get so defensive of "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays." As though everyone chooses to celebrate that particular holiday. Also, even if they do, I like that happy holidays incorporates New Years, etc. I don't understand how some of these hard-line Christmas cheer spreaders can turn it into some sort of vendetta. The last time I checked, that's not really in line with the whole "true meaning of Christmas." I'd like to focus more on the part that involves love for your family and for those who are without a family. I don't mean to be preachy, but Joesph and Mary were pretty much homeless, yet total strangers opened their manger when they were in need, even if they didn't have better accommodations to offer. I wish that more of us were willing to open our hearts, instead of still refusing to make room at the inn.
I know that there are a lot of people who aren't having a very merry Christmas this year, due to circumstances out of their control. I just wish that those people who had a lot going for them would take a moment to be grateful for what they have and think about what they can do to make someone else's life a little bit better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment